Air-Fried Buttermilk Chicken

My taste buds are fond of fried foods.  The pleasure of eating deep-fried food is irresistible to me. I like the tender interior and crisp exterior, which remains crisp even as the food soaks up the tangy sauce. However, for my family's health, I seldom deep fry food at home. I usually replace deep frying with baking, e.g, baked potato sticks, chicken wings and pork ribs.  Baked food tastes good, but sometimes, deep-fried food still tastes better.

To satisfy our craving for deep-fried food,  we bought a Philips Airfryer recently. Now I can air fry! We have air-fried some "forbidden" snacks at home, and this buttermilk fried chicken is one of the top recipes we have tried so far.


Buttermilk marinade makes the chicken stay juicy and tender. I marinated the chicken thighs overnight, and coated with flavorful breading. Placed in the fryer basket, 8 minutes skin side up, and 10 minutes on second side. The chicken turned out great.  Outside is crispy and golden,  inside is tender and juicy. My children told me that this air-fried chicken taste better than what they had in most restaurants!

AIR-FRIED BUTTERMILK CHICKEN

Ingredients

800g store-bought chicken thighs (skin on, bone in)

Marinade
  • 2 cups buttermilk
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 2 teaspoons black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper ( I used paprika powder) 
Seasoned Flour
  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1 tablespoon garlic powder
  • 1 tablespoon paprika powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
Directions
  1. Rinse chicken thighs to remove any obvious fat and residue,  and pat dry with paper towels. 
  2. Toss together chicken pieces, black pepper, paprika and salt in a large bowl to coat. Pour buttermilk over until chicken is coated. Refrigerated for at least 6 hours or overnight.
  3. Preheat airfryer at 180°C
  4. In separate bowl,combine flour, baking powder, paprika and salt and pepper. Remove the chicken 1 piece at a time from the buttermilk and dredge in seasoned flour. Shake off any excess flour and transfer to a plate.
  5. Arrange chicken one layer on the fryer basket, skin side up*,  and slide the basket into the airfryer. Set timer and air fry for 8 minutes. Pull out the tray, turn chicken pieces over, and set timer for another 10 minutes.
  6. Allow to drain on paper towels and serve.

Note:
Place the chicken pieces with skin side up first is to prevent the skin from sticking to the basket when flip over the chicken.

Recipe adapted here.

Comments

  1. Wow !! What a beautiful Airfryer Buttermilk Chicken. Most knowledgeable chefs, who are used to the old way of food preparation, will recognize that they have some problems about food preparation with hot oil. Peanut oil, and any other kind of oil that is put into a pot, is going to be extremely combustible if it gets over a certain heat range.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi , im interested to get one air fryer , was wondering how does it works on fried chicken .. i have a question , if i marinate my chicken , and the cover with flour and beaten egg , will the air fryer work fine in this way of preparation too ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Patricia,

      Airfryer cannot fry food with wet batter. So, you have to use "dry-wet-dry" method. Coat chicken with flour and seasoning, dip into beaten eggs, then coat with flour or breadcrumbs. In this post, I did not use eggs, simply seasoned flour.

      Delete
    2. hi , thanks for your reply !! helps a lot !! :)

      Delete
  3. Loving all the flavours and spices going on in this dish marinade definitely looks delicious and something I would LOVE to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rapid Air Technology. 1. Healthy Cook with little to no oil... Tasty meals with up to 80% less fat compared to fresh fries prepared in a conventional Philips fryer! here

    ReplyDelete
  5. you don;t need to spray with cooking oil to crisp??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The chicken generates a lot of oil, no need to spray extra oil.

      Delete
  6. I preheat air fryer to 180 and cook it at this same temperature? Just want to be sure-last recipe I tried did not cook hot enough so to get it cooked it had to cook longer and I ended up with fish leather. :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was excited to get my Phillips Air Fryer today. I tried Pigs in a Blanket tonight. My problem is they stuck to the bottom of the backet. I preheated as instructed. What did I do wrong. Piggies fell apart when I tried to remove them, lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My fried chicken stuck to the basket and it ended up being leather, batterless chicken. It says to cook poultry at 360 degrees, which I guess is the same as your 180C. Took me forever to clean the basket.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How preheating air fryer helps the recipe? Air fried butter milk chicken is one of the unique recipes i am watching on web. Your chicken looks so crisp and tasty to eat. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Air fryer works just like an oven, it requires pre-heating to reach the desired temperature so that the food can start cooking immediately.

      Delete
  11. I cooked mine for 15 mins on one side & 20 on the other, they were big thighs & at 390. We liked it, thanks for the recipie

    ReplyDelete
  12. You mention baking powder in the ingredients section but, you do not use it in your directions. I assume it goes in the flour mixture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right. Content updated, thank you!

      Delete
    2. Simply set the pan in hot soapy water while you eat, cleaning is then a breeze, I've had no trouble using this method !!

      Delete
  13. Is cleaning an issue for airfryer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nowadays, I always use the grill pan instead of the basket. The fryer basket is really not easy to clean.

      Delete
  14. Yumm.... Looks delicious! I will try this recipe with my philips air fryer.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Youre so cool! I dont suppose Ive read anything like this before. So nice to find somebody with some original thoughts on this subject. realy thank you for starting this up. this website is something that is needed on the web, someone with a little originality. useful job for bringing something new to the internet!
    best air fryers

    ReplyDelete
  16. What does the baking powder do? I don't have any onhand, do I really need it in this recipe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi

      The baking powder makes the coating fluffy and delicious.

      Delete
  17. I have an Air Fryer and when I do a wet dry batter the flour sometimes doesn't always cook. I have tried chicken and pork steaks and it does it with both meats, I have also tried lightly flouring the meat and it still comes out with crispy brown coating with some flour still not cooked.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I did everything but a lot of my batter got stuck too. The second batch spritz the chicken with a little olive oil.. it was better but some batter still sticking. Any suggestions? I'm so disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Liz,

    What's the temperature you set? MTry to make sure airfryer is well preheated at 375°F. High temp will generate oil from chicken fast and you no need to spray oil on the chicken.

    Hope it helps.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great post. Air fryer is a device that can cook food. It circulates air around food and makes the food fat free. I can prepare rice, sauce and stir fry with this fry. That’s the perfect fryer. I can get my desired food ready within a short time. That why I love my air fryer.Thanks for your info before buying air fryers we should read the reviews of products to know more about it visit here

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for the amazing recipe, I will try this at home can you please tell us about How to make Buttermilk just like this.

    ReplyDelete
  22. hello! i just want to give a enormous thumbs up for any wonderful information you have here during this post. i’ll be returning to your blog site for much more soon. Buy Views on YouTube cheap

    ReplyDelete
  23. I read it yesterday, but I had some thoughts about it, and today I wanted to reread it because it is very well written. best site to buy real Instagram followers

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yumm.... Looks delicious! I will try this recipe with my Philips Air Fryer Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is very appealing, however , it is very important that will mouse click on the connection. buying YouTube Views

    ReplyDelete
  26. Looking good! I was just searching for air fryer chicken wing recipe. Found quite a few and this recipe is going to be included in my list as well! Just bought a new air fryer recently and I am just excited to see what I can make with it! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Best Melt-in-the-Mouth Pineapple Tarts (Sonia's Recipe)

Cake Muffins Worth Queueing for at Shunfu Market