I started with Double Skin Milk Pudding (双皮奶) , which is a famous dessert in Hongkong. After a couple of successful attempts , combined with a couple of failed attempts, I realised my family does not really care whether the milk pudding has double skin or single skin. They simply love it. So, I skipped the fussy steps of keeping the first skin, and it turned out to be really simple to make. Since last month, we have been enjoying this dessert almost every other day at home.
To benchmark this homemade milk pudding with the one from local dessert house, I went down to one of the famous local dessert house one day and ordered one bowl of steamed milk pudding. To be honest, the pudding there lacks of fresh milk fragrant, and the texture is not as creamy as mine. I left the dessert house that day with great satisfaction, not as a customer, but as a "winner" :)
- 3-4 egg whites
- 500ml fresh whole milk
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- Add fresh milk to a microwave safe container. Heat in microwave for 3 minutes.
- Remove from microwave, add sugar and stir well. Let cool.
- Beat the egg white slightly (~30 secs) and add egg whites to the cooled milk. Stir to mix well.
- Run the mixture through a fine sieve twice. Divide the mixture into to two bowls. Cover with cling wrap.
- Transfer the bowls to a steamer. Under medium high heat, bring water to boil. Turn to medium heat, continue steam for 15 minutes.
- Turn off the heat. Steam with remaining heat for 5 minutes before open the lid.
- Once it's cool, move to refrigerator to chill.
Recipe adapted here.