Cranberry Shortbread, Mother's Day
蔓越莓牛油酥饼, 母亲节

 

Last year,  I received "World's Best Mom" award from my younger daughter as Mother's Day gift. I post the "certificate" on the wall in my office. I joked that it took almost 10 years for me to receive this award. It's indeed a tough yet rewarding journey bringing up babies.

Looking ahead, parenting a teen would be more challenging. Hope I receive another "certificate" in 5-10 years' time...


This year, Mother's Day is just one-week away.  While anticipating "priceless" gifts from my children,  as a daughter,  I have been shopping around for a perfect gift for my mother.  She has brought up 3 of us, and now still helping me take care of my children... No matter what gift I buy for her, I know I am not able to repay her unconditional love to me and my family.

I was at Marks & Spencer in Orchard last week. Did not find the perfect gift there, instead, bought a pack of WALKERS Pure Butter Shortbread Fingers Biscuit. It's one of my favourite biscuits. With a light sprinkling of sugar on top, Scottish shortbread taste oh-so-delicious.

Now the pack is gone, I decided to bake my own shortbread at home. Followed the same Scottish Shortbread recipe I used last December, I added some dried cranberries and lemon zest. That's my Cranberry Shortbread. The taste?  Believe the pictures tell you all...


CRANBERRY SHORTBREAD
(Recipe adapted and modified from Famous Cuisine 名食谱 )

INGREDIENTS

- 250g all-purpose flour
- 120g rice flour
- 250g cold salted butter (1 bar)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 80g icing sugar
- 40g dried cranberry, sliced
- 1 lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar for dusting










 
DIRECTIONS
  1. Preheat the oven to 180 degC.
  2. In a large bowl, mix the flour, rice flour, baking powder and sugar.
  3. Add the cold butter. With a knife, cut the butter into the flour mixture. With your fingertips, rub the butter and flour together until it resembles coarse crumble like breadcrumbs.
  4. Add lemon zest and cranberries and mix into a dough. 
  5. Cover the dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate for about one hour.
  6. Unwrap chilled dough and roll out to 1cm in thickness. Cut out using a cook cutter.
  7. Sprinkle the shortbread with the caster sugar. 
  8. Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes until the top and bottom of the shortbread is lightly golden.
  9. Leave shortbread on the tray for about 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
  10. Keep in an airtight container in a cool place for up to 2 weeks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Best Melt-in-the-Mouth Pineapple Tarts (Sonia's Recipe)

Cake Muffins Worth Queueing for at Shunfu Market

Air-Fried Buttermilk Chicken